Getting Ready – independent 1-2-1 support for housing transition.
Have you seen our flyers out there anywhere?…
Some official chat….
Getting Ready is a new and exciting project, delivered by Voices from Care Cymru with Children in Wales and supported by funding through the Welsh Government ‘Suitable Provision and Support Innovation Fund – Homelessness Prevention Grant’ 2019-20.
One of the funds aims is to increase the housing support available to vulnerable young people who are transitioning from local authority care
Aims and Purpose
The Getting Ready project will complement the current Welsh Government “When I’m Ready” scheme, providing a more intensive intervention which seeks to echo the support and guidance that non-looked after young people receive within a family setting. This will seek to address some of the inequalities faced by the care-experienced population when transitioning from care.
Our overall aims are:
- To provide support for young people to safely transition from care (including considerations around delaying leaving care and reducing the risk of homelessness and housing instability)
- To facilitate wraparound community support, which is more sustainable in the long-term and does not rely on future funding to deliver positive results
- To empower young people by enhancing their knowledge and understanding of their rights and entitlements when planning to leave care
- To build the capacity of young people to advocate for change
- To build resilience and mechanisms which keep young people safe from homelessness and related risk, enhancing their overall wellbeing
- To contribute to the fund’s aim of preventing homelessness and achieving housing stability amongst care leavers
- To involve young people in the planning, delivery and evaluation of the project
The purpose of this funding is to deliver the Getting Ready project in 3 local authority areas in Wales – Ynys Mon, Carmarthenshire and Rhondda Cynon Taff to young people leaving care.
The project will provide a three-tiered support model for those young people transitioning from care; individual support, peer support, community support. This will include
- Facilitating wrap-around community support
- Enhancing young people’s knowledge on their rights and entitlements when planning to leave care, including enhancing their financial capabilities.
- Providing support and training to enable them to live independently
- Establish employment and education circumstances and collaboratively develop a plan to ensure work, training and/or education is not disrupted by their transition from care.
Voices from Care Cymru (lead) will employ a Getting Ready Project Coordinator and 3 Getting Ready Project Workers to ensure each young person has an allocated designated worker who will work with them, review their progress on a monthly basis and will work with their social worker to provide consistent additional support and advice.
Children in Wales (partner) will employ a Development Officer (Getting Ready Project) who will develop a suite of resources with young people and professionals, and deliver these resources to young people engaged through the Project.